Saturday, September 17, 2016

Fathoming the cost of Trailblazing.

The cost is that sometimes one finds oneself running into obstacles that stand in one's way like a dense North Carolina forest, a solid wall of green with more than its fair share of stinging, biting insects, poison oak, and thorny vines; a dense wall that looks impenetrable. If anyone had ever come this way all trace is gone now. I pay the cost of the forest and make it easier for everyone that comes after me. I brandish my machete, the bug spray, and all the other trappings of trailblazing. Momentum is sometimes my only ally as I blaze. I lean into the dense, dark mystery of life, of what lies ahead, and dare it to stop me, because i am more than the sum of my parts, I have a will that compels me ahead to my destiny, to my dreams.  

There are times when I envy those that get to follow the path of another, a parent, an older sibling, a close friend, a spouse, but for me...no one steps up fast enough, no human knows my destiny, so how can they? Others have attempted to lead me down different paths, but those paths didn't lead where I needed to go. The same old paths hold no sway with me. I make the freshly hewn paths of today, instead of the well traveled roads of yesterday. 

I rest for a moment now, I pause to size up the obstacles ahead. My eyes measure and calculate the cost, as I refresh myself. I watch the wall like a commander measures an oncoming horde of barbarians. I have a plan. I take inventory of my assets and liabilities and decide to push ahead, trusting my instincts: We will be okay, time to keep blazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment